Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pointing the Way - Members Speak UP!

In honor of National Quilting Month, we asked YOU what you thought about the future of online quilting, and we got some great responses.

"I think the future of the quilting and sewing community is limitless now that we have social media and the internet. I'm constantly amazed at how close I feel to quilters I have never met in person, just by keeping up with their blogs or chatting with them on Twitter.  For someone like me that works full-time and is absolutely crazy busy, being able to connect without having to be physically at a location at a specific time is ideal." - LTDermDVM

The thing that was so interesting to me is that this survey dispelled what I think are the two biggest myths about quilters; first, quilters are all old.  I'm sure I'm not the only quilter who gets shocked looks or jokes when I mention my hobby - and I'm no spring chicken! I'll be 43 in July, but some people still think I'm way too young to be a quilter.  Yet twenty-five percent of our survey respondents were 26-35 years old.

I love this!  My only issues are a) most of us don't have grandkids and some don't even have kids yet! and B)some of us quilters ARE the husbands!

"Whenever I'm working in a public space (like the quilt shop I go to) I feel like a living history exhibit (I'm 30, but I look like I'm still in my 20s). The women in the shop stare at me and stop to ask me questions - hilariously, "are you on spring break, dear?" is pretty common." - KiwiCoral   FemmeFantastic

The second myth is that online quilt sites will never take off because quilters don't use the internet.  (See myth 1).  While the biggest demographic in our survey was quilters aged 46-55 (55%), those who are 56-65 were the second largest group (40%).  Yet 70% of you have a public Facebook page, a Twitter feed, and a blog!  65% are on Flickr or another photo sharing site, and 20% of you have a retail shop like Etsy. 

"Especially while living abroad, it is wonderful to have an online community of fellow quilters and seamsters to learn from. I get braver with every new project I see, as I realize "Hey! That's cool. I need to try that!" - Kate Larson

Since Quilts Inc estimates that 73% of quilters used the internet regularly back in 2010, and spent an average of two hours a day online, I think that myth has also been busted!  It just goes to show that the online quilting community is not a fantasy for the future or a trend for today.  It's here to stay and growing fast. 

"Quilting is here to stay.  It is a wonderful form of therapy and produces something useful." -OhioStar

By the way, it's not too late to reply to the survey.  Let us know what you think!




=

5 comments:

  1. Problem with being on line is THE MORE YOU ARE ON LINE THE LESS QUILTING GETS DONE... ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

    NONNIE

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found Sew Stitch Create and Within a Quarter Inch Podcasts, and I wondered where you went, and now I found seamedup.com and the podcast, and the blog, and I am very happy...grin

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote marked KiwiStar is actually mine - FemmeFantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete